BLOODCHILD

What is your reaction to the text, Bloodchild?

- My reaction to the text is mostly uncomforting. I did not enjoy the gruesome concept as an overall plot. I think it is a good idea to think about- men serving as carriers, but I did not enjoy the way the eggs were treated. I think it is an interesting read and overall good for men to read to understand how woman feel, but as a woman, it was gut-wrenching. The text wasn't written in a grotesque way by any means I personally just hate the thought of childbirth and pregnancy on its own so I would not pick to read this if we haven't in class.

What connections did you make with the story?

- As a woman, I can understand the weight and responsibility of holding the child as we are expected to do so according to society. But I cannot relate to wanting to carry the eggs. The future of the Tlic species depends on the cooperation of the Terrans. Similar to how woman are depended on to continue the population on Earth for men and our families.

What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

- I can easily visualize this story into a film as the cinematography has a plethora of potential in this story. It would be an interesting scene to visually see Gan's change in heart of being a carrier when he sees the other man go into labor. When Gan watches the aliens remove the eggs from the man in labor and into the dead animal his changes something in Gan. He begins to question his role as a carrier. This would make for an interesting change in character in a film as you could show interesting B-role shots of his discomfort with his role. I would make the changes to possibly add more characters into the story because it lacks taste after quite a while. That may just be me but I find myself wanting more from Gan after his character develops. Gan needs more support from others to save his family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Novel of Spiritual Education- Night Circus

Cyberpunk & Steampunk

“A Wild Sheep Chase” by Haruki Murakami